This community exists--as an alternative to the too-general community_promo--for the purpose of advertising, promoting, and inquiring about literature-, reading-, book-, and author-based LJ communities (but not writing-based--i.e., "share-your-writing"--communities: use writer_ads_news for that purpose).
Three kinds of posts are permissible:
1.) posts advertising communities: i.e., "join my Victorian lit. community!" 2.) posts inquiring about communities: i.e., "is there a Victorian lit. community?" 3.) posts suggesting possibilities for new communities: i.e., "I'm thinking of starting a Victorian lit. community; how many of you would be interested?"
Essentially, this community will be a directory of literary-/book-minded LJ communities. Hopefully this will make searching for such communities a little easier than it previously has been. Hopefully it will also reduce the need to spam other communities with advertisements.
Important things to note:
* "Literature" is meant here in a very broad--rather than high-brow--sense: so a promo for a Danielle Steele community is as welcome as a promo for a Proust community. Anything book-related is fine.
* You don't need to be the creator/moderator of a community in order to promote it. If there's a good community we should know about, by all means, tell us about it.
* If you have multiple communities to advertise, just do it all in a single post.
* Keep your ads concise and keep them simple. You don't need obnoxious fonts or big splashy graphics. Just tell us what your community is about and supply a link. If, for whatever reason, your post must be long and/or involve pictures, keep it behind lj-cut tag.
* Repeat advertising, in moderation (let's say, once a month) is acceptable, especially if your community is a book club and you'd like to announce a new selection. But again, keep the ad concise and simple.
* Spread the word about lit_promo! Tell the folks in your other communities about it. The more people we have in this community, the more effective it will be.